Staff Spotlight: Gina Sheehan honored at 40 Under 40 event
July 17, 2019
Congratulations to Gina Sheehan, our Director of Adult Services, for being in the highly esteemed class of the region’s 40 Under 40 Award recipients.
As one of this year’s 40 Under 40 Awards honorees, Gina was recognized at an event hosted by Cape & Plymouth Business on June 27th at the Cape Codder Resort & Spa in Hyannis. Gina was thrilled to receive this honor, and representatives from Latham and family and friends joined her at the event. “I am so appreciative of this,” Gina said. “It’s crazy… I’ve spent close to a third of my life at Latham. This means so SO much to me,” she told a colleague.
Gina is an exceptional leader here at Latham Centers. She’s a visionary manager, skilled trainer and presenter, and dedicated community volunteer. Last year, Gina began a new role at Latham Centers as Director of Adult Services, after nine years of service in the agency’s Children’s Program. When she was promoted to the position of program director, the COO at Latham said she was thrilled to have such an enthusiastic, energetic leader guiding the program. Gina’s talents, education, and qualifications are impressive; she is a licensed social worker (LCSW) and earned a Bachelor of Science (Social Work) from the University of New Hampshire and Master of Social Work from Boston University. Gina has presented at national conferences on numerous clinical topics, and she is a certified instructor of CPI’s Nonviolent Crisis Intervention training.
Gina’s professional development path is the perfect example of “growing a career” – and making a real difference in the lives of so many. She has held several positions at Latham, including direct care services, clinician, and most recently Director of Children’s Residential Services. She has been a role model to staff and residents for years, and she is responsible for enhancing the sharing of support, resources, and team building across programs. She is 100% committed to the organization’s mission, and she is always quick to credit her colleagues at Latham for their mission-driven work.
“Our entire agency is filled with talented and dedicated people, many of whom have dedicated large parts of their lives – even decades – to ensuring advocacy and quality of care for the Latham residents,” Gina said.
Gina is also an instrumental player in developing a ‘smart home’ model for individuals with special needs, so they can lead more independent lives with the creative integration of new technologies and staff support. In her ‘off-time,’ she continues to serve others, as a participant in fundraisers including the Falmouth Road Race (for the benefit of Latham programs), and the Jolly Jaunt (for the benefit of Special Olympics programs on Cape Cod).
The following is an excerpt of the June, 2019 Cape & Plymouth Business issue featuring bios about each of the 40 Under 40 award recipients:
Gina Sheehan, Age 32, Latham Centers, Inc.
· Education: Master of Clinical Social Work – Boston University; Bachelor of Science in Social Work from the University of New Hampshire.
· Career background/highlights: LCSW, Certified Non-Violent Crisis Intervention Instructor, Employed at Latham Centers since 2009, served in various roles, Promoted to Director of Adult Services in 2018.
· Community involvement: I’m invested in this beautiful beach we call home and the future of the Cape; born and raised here, like many of us…it’s personal. Our generation has seen the devastating effects of the opioid crisis and despite the changing tides, many of us are finding success at a young age here. The continued growth of a supportive and opportunity-rich community on Cape Cod is a focus of mine.
· Favorite professional moment: From the moment I started at Latham I found alignment with an agency which mirrored my passions and what I really believed as a person. I knew who I was and what was most important to me — Connection: Every person needs a person. Someone who will courageously stand by them. Latham gave me the opportunity to be a person for a person, a family and a community.
· Who is your mentor/role model? Gerry Pouliot III, the Director of Children’s Services at Latham. While Gerry was my supervisor, he provided the coaching empowerment I needed. Gerry helps staff to believe in their own talents and increase confidence to develop professionally. I’d venture to say he’s the Belichick of Latham. He’d tell you he is Brady. Also, my brother Rory Sheehan and sister-in-law Celia Richa. They have always shown me through their own careers that success, above all else, is attributed to maintaining a strong heart and character and not compromising this.
· What mistake has taught you the most? I always wanted to “sit at the table,” although I used to avoid this when given the chance, opting for a seat on the sideline. Now I sit, end of story.
· Where can you be found on the weekends? At the gym training for a bodybuilding competition.
· What’s one book that has impacted your life? Quiet, Susan Cain
· What is your superpower? Superhuman strength…I never give up…ever.
More about the 40 Under 40 Event: The latest Cape & Plymouth Business issue (two-page spread featured here) states, “On Thursday, June 27, close to 300 friends and family came together to celebrate the 2019 40 Under 40 Award winners. A great group of young professionals were recognized… This is the Ten Year Anniversary for this event, and over the years the business community has recognized 400 young people for their accomplishments. It is our goal to do everything in our power to keep these people on the South Shore and Cape Cod. The Master of Ceremonies was Sean Fitzpatrick, Founder of Cape Cloth, and the Keynote Speaker was Lisa Oliver, the President and CEO of The Cooperative Bank of Cape Cod.”
From all of us at Latham Centers, thank you, Gina, for your visionary leadership and commitment to brighter futures for children and adults with special needs!
Pictured: Gina with Latham colleagues (left to right) Chris Gillstrom Burgess (Board Chair), Dawn Dinnan, Lee Chamberlain, Ben Mundy, and Anne McManus.
Subscribe to our Blog
- Latham Centers’ Summer Appeal
- 5K Run for PWS
- Year-end Celebration 2018
- Field Day 2018
- Newspaper Club News
- Music Memory Competition
- Special Olympics Torch Run
- Community Center Fundraiser
- Prom 2018
- Cape Cod C.A.N. Music Review
- Latham School Talent Show
- Anne McManus honored
- Brewster in Bloom 2018
- Asinotherapy News
- MDA Fundraiser
- 2018 Falmouth Road Race
- Prader-Willi Syndrome Cookbook
- Sewing Club News
- Officer Gannon Honored
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018